Nine teens graduated from our 2017 One Earth Writing Ambassadors program, celebrating their accomplishments by sharing their writing and speaking about their experiences with One Earth Writing, a nonprofit that uses writing to build confidence, leadership, and voice in teens while connecting them across racial, religious and socioeconomic lines.
One Earth Writing Ambassador Sabriya Imami, 11th grade at Detroit Country Day High School shares her narrative after interviewing refugees:
The Ambassadors are teenagers who want to be leaders, like to write, enjoy making friends from different areas, and seek to build the skills to make a difference in their communities.
Ambassador graduates received a certificate of completion that counts toward six hours of community service. They may then apply to become Senior Ambassadors, continuing their writing while planning and leading programs in the greater community.
Graduating Ambassadors include the following teens:
- Brynna Connolly, 11th grade, Mercy High School, West Bloomfield resident
- Ishika Gupta, 8th grade, East Middle School, Grand Blanc resident
- Sabriya Imami, 11th grade, Detroit Country Day School, Northville resident
- Madison Leake, 12th grade, Mercy High School, Southfield resident
- Azjana McClendon, 11th grade, Cass Technical High School, Detroit resident
- Janey Salenbien, 9th grade, Dundee High School, Dundee resident
- Maddie Webb, 10th grade, Howell High School, Howell resident
- Alex Young, 12th grade, Detroit Catholic Central, Ann Arbor resident
- Fatimah Zeni, 11th grade, Detroit Country Day School, Bloomfield Hills resident
The ambassador program is free, transportation is provided for those who need it and dinner is supplied during every workshop.
OEW meets at Madonna University in Livonia for its workshops. The winter 2018 program will run 5:30-8:30 p.m. Tuesdays Feb. 6-March 27. OEW is accepting applications for its winter 2018 class. Interested students have to submit writing samples and a one-page letter of interest. Applications are due by Jan. 10.